(To report a lost or stolen Visa Card, or fraudulent card activity please go to our Visa Card Protection page.)
Identity theft occurs when someone uses your personal information to commit fraud or other crimes. Fortunately, there are preventive measures you can take to substantially reduce the chance of identity theft happening to you.
Click here to see our videos on Identity Theft and protecting yourself.
Some easy-to-use tips for avoiding identity theft are:
- Keep your passwords private - Never give your PIN or password to anyone and keep them in a secure place.
- Exercise caution when downloading files - Make sure you only download files from websites and e-mail addresses you trust.
- Never provide personal or financial information in response to e-mail.
- Avoid using public computers for personal transactions.
- Check your credit report annually - Look for suspicious activity when you do. Review your three free credit reports throughout the year at www.annualcreditreport.com.
- Shred important documents. - Be careful about how you discard your financial and personal paperwork.
- Check your accounts frequently. - This is easy with our on-line banking. Notify us if you see any unusual activity.
Things you need to know:
Please do not give any personal information over the phone or by e-mail. Family First FCU will never call or email you and ask for your personal or account information. We may ask questions to verify your identity when you contact us. If you have a question about the validity of phone call or e-mail, please contact us immediately at 585.586.8225.
For more helpful information please use the links below.
“Tips to Safely Conduct Financial Transactions Over the Internet” on-line brochure.
Fake Check Scams
These could cost you thousands of dollars.
Fighting Back Against Identity Theft
The Federal Trade Commission’s Identity theft site.
Annual Credit Report Request Service
PO Box 105281 Atlanta, GA 30348-5281
PO Box 2104 Allen, TX 75013-2104
To order your report 888.397.3742
To report fraud 888.397.3742
PO Box 1000 Chester, PA 19022
To order your report 800.888.4213
To report fraud 800.680.7289
PO Box 740241 Atlanta, GA 30374
To order your report 800.685.1111
To report fraud 888.766.0008
US Postal Service
For mail fraud issues, call the US Post Office to obtain the phone number of the nearest postal inspector. 877.876.2455
US Social Security Administration
To order your free personal earnings and benefit estimate call: 800.772.1213
If you are unable to open a checking account because of identity theft, sent a letter to 7805 Hudson Rd, Suite 100 Woodbury, MN 55125 or call 800.428.9623
If you are unable to write checks because of bad checks written in your name, contact: