Rochester’s Mortgage Center
Whether you are looking to purchase your first home, refinance your existing mortgage loan, or you just want to tap into the equity you have already built up in your home…we have all the tools to help you!
Making Your Home Buying Dreams a Reality
At Family First Federal Credit Union, we offer special mortgage programs for unique needs. Whether you’re purchasing a new home, refinancing, or making improvements, we have the product for you. All of our mortgages are serviced, processed, and underwritten locally by our team right here in Penfield NY!
Adjustable-Rate Mortgages (ARMs) are great for our Members who are not looking to stay in a property long or anticipate significant growth in income!
The way an ARM works is you have a set, low fixed rate for a certain period of time, like 3, 5 or 7 years, then for the remainder of the loan the interest rate would adjust annually depending on the market. Properties that qualify for our Adjustable-Rate Mortgage are primary residences and second homes. Family First offers the intermediate 5 Year ARM which is specifically designed to meet the needs of these members. Prepayments made to principal go a long way to reducing your payments after your initial adjustment period. Ask our Mortgage Team if this loan type can meet your needs on that new house or refinance.
Some Adjustable Rate Mortgages require Mortgage Insurance Premiums. Here at Family First FCU, we offer several options including a “Piggyback Loan”. Let us explain and find the best solution that demonstrates benefits and draw backs from a loan with PMI.
SONYMA offers this program, which allows borrowers to secure down payment assistance though a second mortgage that can be used with any currently available SONYMA program. DPALs have no interest rate and no monthly payments and will be forgiven after 10 years as long as the borrower keeps the SONYMA financing in place and continues to occupy his or her home.
Our First Time Home Buyer plans are flexible and easy. We offer 0%, 3% and 5% down payment options that are sure to fit your budget. Don’t have a lot of money to work with? You may be eligible for our lender paid closing cost program or you may qualify for a First Time Home Buyer grant through one of several not-for-profit organizations we partner with. Combine these terrific programs with our low rates and the time to buy has never been better. Click here for more details.
Are you looking for the security of a fixed interest rate and monthly payment?
Make your budgeting easier with a traditional fixed-rate mortgage. Because your rate is locked in for the entire term of your loan, you can have peace of mind knowing your principal & interest portion of your payment will never increase. Whether it’s to purchase a home or refinance an existing loan, your best home lending options are here.
- Fixed terms of 5 to 30 years.
- Down payment requirements of 5% or more.
- Refinancing available, including cash out, so you can access your home’s equity for remodeling projects, debt consolidation and life’s other expenses.
- First-time homebuyer programs offering additional flexibility and grant options for down-payment and closing costs assistance are available.
- Available for owner-occupied homes including condominiums and townhomes located in New York.
- Financing also available for vacation homes and investment properties.
Some Fixed Rate Mortgages require Mortgage Insurance Premiums. Here at Family First CU, we offer several options including a “Piggyback Loan”. Let us explain and find the best options that can explain benefits and draw backs from a loan with PMI.
With an FHA loan, the minimum down payment is a low 3.5% of the purchase price, making this an affordable option for those wanting to purchase or refinance a home with little cash down. These loans are insured by the Federal Housing Authority through the Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) and often carry interest rates that are lower than non-FHA alternatives. Check with our Mortgage Team to find out if this loan meets your needs best!
- Minimum down payment of 3.5%.
- Available in 15 or 30 year fixed terms.
- Available for purchase or refinance.
- Refinancing available both with and without cash out.
- First-time homebuyer and existing homeowners are eligible.
- Loan amounts are limited by county. For example, the maximum FHA loan amount for a single family home, condominium or townhouse located in Monroe County is $472,030. If you are interested in other counties take a look at this page from HUD to find out what the maximum loan amount would be for that area.
- Available for owner-occupied single family homes, condominiums and townhomes located in New York.
- Condominium properties must be on FHA’s Approved Condominium list. Our team can research to see if yours is on a list and that it has not expired!
- Family First does not currently service FHA loans in which it arranges for.
FHA loans do require an upfront mortgage insurance premium and a monthly premium, unlike other conventional loans, but the amount of the upfront premium may be financed into the loan.
We participate with all major grants including the Homebuyer Dream Program, a grant program offered to eligible first time home buyers that provides up to $10,000 on a first come first serve basis. This program has a planned roll out date of March 2023. Click here to visit our HomeBuyer Dream page for all the details.
Piggyback Mortgages, commonly called “Combo” or “80-10-10 mortgages” are transactions where a second mortgage or home equity loan is taken out simultaneously to a first mortgage. Typically, real estate transactions include just one mortgage, but a piggyback mortgage includes two. Piggyback mortgages are often compatible with a new purchase or an existing refinance and can be used strategically to structure the transaction for a greater benefit to the home buyer. Keep in mind, however, that the 80-10-10 numbers aren’t necessarily fixed. You can get a 75-10-15 or several other combinations. By the numbers:
80: First Mortgage balance expressed as a percentage of the purchase price
10: Second Mortgage balance percentage
10: Your cash investment percentage
Piggyback mortgages are frequently used to lower the loan-to-value ratio (LTV) of a first position mortgage to 80% or under, thereby eliminating the need for private mortgage insurance (PMI) but there are several considerations you should be aware of. Your Mortgage Loan Originator can help you find the best options! Here are just some of the possible benefits of a piggyback mortgage:
1) Eliminate Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI)! Here’s how: If you are purchasing a property for $180,000 and would like to put 10% down, you can structure it this way:
- $144,000 First Mortgage
- $ 18,000 Second Mortgage
Your Total financing: $162,000 (90% of the purchase price)
Added benefit: You now have the option to waive real estate tax and/or home owners insurance!
2) Reduce your housing payment with a lump sum. Here’s how: In the example above, you would have two mortgage payments, a payment for the first mortgage and one for the second. If you paid off your second mortgage you would be left with just the first. You just lowered your housing payment! This cannot be done with a traditional fixed rate mortgage where your payments to principal & interest remain constant even though you pay extra to your principal monthly or in a lump sum.
Added Benefit: Often your mortgage payments with both the first and second can be lower than a mortgage WITH PMI monthly. Ask us to compare!
3) Increase your tax deduction. Here’s how: In a traditional mortgage that contains Private Mortgage Insurance, you are required to follow the IRS rules for the PMI’s tax deductibility. These rules are complex but include provisions for you to occupy the home and adjusted gross income maximums. The U.S. Congress considers these rules and the deductibility annually. With a piggyback mortgage you will have interest on both the first and second mortgage and at least historically, these rules have not changed much. For more information on this topic, click Here.
Manufactured housing can offer some challenges in financing. Family First designed the program around the Member buying or refinancing their Manufactured home. Are you looking for a long term, fixed rate mortgage for your manufactured home?
Manufactured Home Loans at Family First offer flexibilities and attractive rates that are difficult to find locally such as:
- 20 Year Fixed terms available
- Minimum loan amounts as low as $50,000
- Double width units have down payment options as low as 5%
- Real Estate tax and insurance included right in your mortgage payment or waived in some cases
- Manufactured Homes must be permanently attached to a suitable foundation and be located on our Members property
- Homes must be manufactured after 7/15/1976 and be constructed according to HUD Certifications.
- If you’re unsure, please contact the Mortgage Team at Family First to insure your property will qualify
Living in a rural or agricultural area? You may be eligible for a United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) loan. The USDA maintains a list of areas in which financing may be eligible and the amount of income earned is a factor. Contact the Mortgage Team with the address of the property or area that you are considering so we can find the best possible solution to finance your home.
USDA loans have flexible and attractive terms:
- No down payment required.
- Closing costs and fees may be paid by the seller.
- There are some restrictions including locations in eligible areas and income targets. For more details to accurately determine eligibility, just talk to our Mortgage Team.
- USDA loans require an upfront Guaranty Fee and a monthly fee. The amount of the Guaranty Fee premium may be financed into your new loan amount. If you are uncertain if your family income or location will allow for you to take advantage of this option, just give us a call!
VA loans are guaranteed by the Department of Veterans Affairs and are available to military veterans and active duty military (or their surviving spouse). VA loans can help eligible veterans to purchase or refinance a home with zero down payment! Additional flexibilities within this product can make it one of the best choices for you. There are many resources available for exploring this option. A great place to start is right here: US Department of Veterans Affairs – Home Loans.
- Eligibility requires 90 days of active duty days during wartime, or 181 or more continuous days during peacetime. The VA also provides further details about your eligibility.
- Available in 15 or 30 year fixed terms for both new purchases and refinances.
- Available for owner-occupied properties including some condominiums and townhomes located in New York.
- Purchase with zero money down and no monthly mortgage insurance requirement.
- Looking to apply for your VA Certificate of Eligibility? You can start the process by locating your DD-214 and then contact our Mortgage Team.
- Family First does not currently service VA loans in which it arranges for.
VA loans often require an upfront VA Funding Fee but no monthly fee. The amount of the VA Funding Fee premium may be financed into your new loan amount. If you are uncertain if your Veteran status would allow a waiver of the Funding fee, you can call us.
Family First FCU recognizes that Vacation and Investment property financing can present challenges but we have solutions. Please contact the Mortgage Team to review your needs. Each transaction and its accompanying financing package are individually designed to find solutions for you to consider.
What Makes Our Mortgages Unique?
Local, local, local – Does being local matter? You bet! With personalized service from our staff to processing, closing, and the use of local appraisers & attorney’s, we are committed to our local roots. This all means YOU deal locally with people in your community – with people that care.
Competitively low rates available for purchase or refinancing – At Family First CU you have access to a wide array of loan options, including closing costs assistance at competitively low interest rates.
Options – Whether you qualify for a USDA loan or want the assistance that a down-payment assistance loan can give you on a SONYMA loan, Family First provides options!
Free Pre-approval to increase buying power – With a no cost, pre-approval at Family First CU, you can have the peace of mind that everything has been reviewed. This puts you in the best possible position to negotiate the home of your dreams with the knowledge that you are well on your way in the mortgage process.
Meet our Mortgage Originators
Are you thinking about buying your first home or refinancing your current mortgage? Let our friendly, professional staff provide you with local decision-making and servicing of your mortgage. Contact one of our originators today for a customized mortgage loan that works for you!