Reg CC Updates 2022
Changes to our Check Hold Policy effective February 1, 2022
One of the most important transactions that we perform for our members is clearing their checks. The majority of checks are cleared without issue, but as financial scams become more prevalent, we are seeing an increase in fraudulent checks and checks being returned for non-sufficient funds (NSF). To better safeguard the credit union and our members from negative account balances and fraudulent activity on their accounts, these new guidelines will be put into practice beginning February 1, 2022.
We will offer same-day (immediate) availability on the following types of deposits:
- Cash & Electronic Deposits into member accounts
- Wire Transfers
- Official Payroll Checks
- Government Checks or Postal Money Orders
- Official Cashier’s, Certified or Teller’s Checks
- “On Us” Checks
- Travelers Cheques
We will place a 2-business day hold on the following types of deposits:
- Checks deposited by mail or in our night drop
- All other checks less than $5,525.00. The Federal Reserve no longer distinguishes between ‘local’ and ‘non-local’ checks
We will place a 7-business day (or more) hold on the following types of deposits:
- Checks over $5,525.00
- Checks where we have reason to doubt collectability
- Checks that are redeposited or resubmitted
- Checks where the member has had repeated overdrafts
- Checks that are stale dated (over six months old)
- Checks used to open a new account
3rd Party Checks: We will not accept 3rd party checks because Federal regulations require us to “know our member”.
Foreign Checks: Any check drawn on a financial institution outside of the U.S. will be held up to 30 days or for the time it takes us to collect the funds.
We continue to process member’s personal checks and/or electronic debits through their account, even if there is a deposit that has been held. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 585.586.8225 or [email protected]. Thank you for your membership!