Recent Identity Theft Scams
March 3, 2021
First Family Credit Union
Current Identity Theft Scams
It has come to our attention that scammers have recently been spoofing the phone numbers of local Rochester financial institutions and asking people for their personal information. Family First will never contact you and ask you for this information. DO NOT give out any information to these scammers if they contact you.
We have also heard of an increased level of fraudulent text messages being sent. If you do not recognize and trust the number these texts are coming from, do not respond or follow the links in these texts.
Please do not give any personal information over the phone or by e-mail. Family First CU will never call or email you and ask for your personal or account information. We may ask questions to verify your identity when you contact us. If you have a question about the validity of phone call or e-mail, please contact us immediately at 585.586.8225.
Some easy-to-use tips for avoiding identity theft are:
- Keep your passwords private – Never give your PIN or password to anyone and keep them in a secure place.
- Exercise caution when downloading files – Make sure you only download files from websites and e-mail addresses you trust.
- Never provide personal or financial information in response to e-mail.
- Avoid using public computers for personal transactions.
- Check your credit report annually – Look for suspicious activity when you do. Review your three free credit reports throughout the year at www.annualcreditreport.com.
- Shred important documents. – Be careful about how you discard your financial and personal paperwork.
- Check your accounts frequently. – This is easy with our on-line banking. Notify us if you see any unusual activity.